Transforming Hospitals: Designing for Safety and Quality, a DVD from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), reviews the case for evidence-based hospital design and how it increases patient and staff satisfaction and safety, quality of care, and employee retention, and results in a positive return on investment. Select for More Information.
Select to order the DVD.
Transforming Hospitals: Designing for Safety and Quality demonstrates how evidence-based design can improve the quality and safety of hospital services while improving staff satisfaction and retention. Created by AHRQ, this DVD will help any hospital executive planning major construction projects or minor renovations.
Experiences of three hospitals are showcased:
- Griffin Hospital in Derby, CT.
- Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring, MD.
- Woodwinds Health Campus in Woodbury, MN.
The DVD illustrates how these hospitals incorporated evidence-based design elements into their construction and renovation projects and gained not only patient and staff favor but, in some cases, a surprisingly rapid return on their investment.
Transforming Hospitals: Designing for Safety and Quality addresses how hospital design affects:
- Patient safety, including falls, medication errors, and hospital-acquired infections.
- Patient satisfaction through noise reduction, privacy, and hospital navigation improvements.
- Quality outcomes.
- Staff satisfaction and retention.
- Cost effectiveness.
Select for more information about Transforming Hospitals for Safety and Quality.
How to Order the DVD
To order a copy of Transforming Hospitals: Designing for Safety and Quality:
- Call the AHRQ Publication Clearinghouse at 1-800-358-9295.
- Send an E-mail to AHRQPubs@ahrq.hhs.gov.
Please request AHRQ Publication No. 07-0076-DVD.