This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
How This Report Is Organized
The basic structure of the report is unchanged from last year and consists of the following:
- Highlights summarizes key themes from the 2005 report.
- Chapter 1: Introduction and Methods documents the organization, data sources, and methods used in the 2005 report and describes major changes from previous reports.
- Chapter 2: Quality of Health Care examines disparities in quality of health care in the general U.S. population. Measures of quality of health care used in this chapter are identical to measures used in the National Healthcare Quality Report (NHQR) except when data to examine disparities are unavailable. Sections cover four components of health care quality: effectiveness, patient safety, timeliness, and patient centeredness.
- Chapter 3: Access to Health Care examines disparities in access to health care in the general U.S. population. Sections cover two components of health care access: barriers and facilitators to health care and health care utilization.
- Chapter 4: Priority Populations examines disparities in quality of and access to health care among AHRQ's priority populations including:
- Racial and ethnic minorities
- Low income groups
- Residents of rural areas
- Individuals with special health care needs
Appendixes are available online (www.qualitytools.ahrq.gov) and include:
- Appendix A: Data Sources provides information about each database analyzed for the NHDR including data type, sample design, and primary content.
- Appendix B: Detailed Methods provides detailed methods for select databases analyzed for the NHDR.
- Appendix C: Measure Specifications provides information about how to generate each measure analyzed for the NHDR. It includes both measures highlighted in the report text as well as other measures that were examined but not included in the text. It also includes information about the summary measures used in the report.
- Appendix D: Data Tables provides detailed tables for most measures analyzed for the NHDR, including both measures highlighted in the report text and measures examined but not included in the text. A few measures cannot support detailed tables and are not included in the appendix. When data are available:
- Race tables and ethnicity tables are stratified by age, gender, residence location, and one or more socioeconomic variables (i.e., household income, education, insurance, and/or area income).
- Socioeconomic tables are stratified by age, gender, residence location, race, and ethnicity.
Summary data tables organized by topic are presented first followed by detailed data tables for each measure.