This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Patient Safety Data
- In many areas, data needed to track patient safety effectively are not available.
- In most cases, clinicians lack basic monitoring data on medical errors and adverse events. For example:
- Only 25 of 41 safety measures in the full NHQR measure set have data available for tracking recent trends.
- No national data systems currently report data on safety at a State or local level.
- Because adverse events and medical errors are rare events from a statistical perspective, it is difficult to compare across time or patient groups.
Contents Next Slide