This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
1. Myers ER, Barber MW, Couchman GM, et al. Management of uterine fibroids. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 34. (Prepared by the Duke Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-97-0014.) AHRQ Publication 01-E052. Rockville, MD. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2001.
2. Day Baird D, Dunson D, Hill M, et al. High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women: ultrasound evidence. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003;188(1):100-7.
3. Farquhar C, Steiner C. Hysterectomy rates in the United States 1990-1997. Obstet and Gynec 2002;99(1):97-101.
4. Carlson K, Miller B, Fowler F. The Maine Women's Health Study; I. Outcomes of hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol 1994;83:556-65.
5. Kjerulff K, Langenberg P, Rhodes J, et al. Effectiveness of hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol 2000;95:319-26.
6. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Surgical alternatives to hysterectomy in the management of leiomyomas. Washington DC: ACOG; 2000 May. (ACOG practice bulletin; No. 16:10).
7. Pelage JP, Guaou NG, Jha RC, et al. Long term imaging outcome after embolization for uterine fibroids tumors. Radiology 2004;230:803-9.
8. Pelage J, LeDref O, Soyer P, et al. Fibroid-related menorrhagia: treatment with superselective embolization of the uterine arteries and midterm followup. Radiology 2000;215:428-31.
9. Walker WJ, Pelage J. Uterine artery embolisation for symptomatic fibroids: clinical results in 400 women with imaging follow up. Brit J of Obstet and Gynaec 2002;109:1262-72.
10. Spies J, Ascher SA, Roth AR, et al. Uterine artery embolization for leiomyomata. Obstet and Gynec 2001;98:29-34.
11. Ravina J, Ciraru-Vigneron N, Aymard A, et al. Uterine artery embolisation for fibroid disease: results of a 6 year study. Min Invas Ther & Allied Technol 1999;8:441-7.
12. McLucas B, Adler L, Perella R. Uterine Fibroid Embolization: Nonsurgical treatment for symptomatic fibroids. J Am Coll Surg 2001;192:95-105.
13. Hutchins F, Worthington-Kirsch R, Berkowitz R. Selective uterine artery embolization as primary treatment for symptomatic leiomyomata uteri. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 1999;6:279-84.
14. Andersen PE, Lund N, Justesen P, et al. Uterine artery embolization for symptomatic uterine fibroids: Initial success and short-term results. Acta Radiol 2001;42(2):234-8.
15. Katsumori T, Nakajima K, Mihara T, Tokuhiro M. Uterine artery embolization using gelatin sponge particles alone for symptomatic uterine fibroids; midterm results. AJR 2002;178:135-9.
16. Spies J, Spector A, Roth A, et al. Complications after uterine artery embolization for leiomyomata. Obstet and Gynec 2002;100:873-80.
17. Spies J, Cooper J, Worthington-Kirsch R, et al. Outcome from uterine embolization and hysterectomy for leiomyomas: Results of a multi-center study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004;191:22-31.
18. Broder M, Landow W, Goodwin S, et al. An agenda for research into uterine artery embolization: results of an expert panel conference. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2000;11(4):509-15.
19. Spies J, Coyne K, Guaou Guaou N, et al. The UFS-QOL, a new disease-specific symptom and health-related quality of life questionnaire for leiomyomata. Obstet and Gynec 2002;99:290-300.
20. Goodwin S, Bonilla S, Sacks D, et al. Reporting standards for uterine artery embolization for the treatment of uterine leiomyomata. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2001;12(9):1011-20.
21. Sawin SW, Pilevsky ND, Berlin JA, et al. Comparability of perioperative morbidity between abdominal myomectomy and hysterectomy for women with uterine leiomyomas. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2000;183(6):1448-55.
22. Myers ER, Barber MD, Gustilo-Ashby T, et al. Management of uterine leiomyomata: what do we really know? Obstet Gynecol 2002;100(1):8-17.
23. Ojeda VJ. The pathology of hysterectomy specimens. N Z Med J 1979;89(631):169-71.
24. Cramer SF, Patel A. The frequency of uterine leiomyomas. Am J Clin Pathol 1990;94(4):435-8.
25. Rice JP, Kay HH, Mahony BS. The clinical significance of uterine leiomyomas in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1989;160(5 Pt 1):1212-6.
26. Exacoustos C, Rosati P. Ultrasound diagnosis of uterine myomas and complications in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 1993;82(1):97-101.
27. Borgfeldt C, Andolf E. Transvaginal ultrasonographic findings in the uterus and the endometrium: low prevalence of leiomyoma in a random sample of women age 25-40 years. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2000;79(3):202-7.
28. DeWaay DJ, Syrop CH, Nygaard IE, et al. Natural history of uterine polyps and leiomyomata. Obstet Gynecol 2002;100(1):3-7.
29. Chen CR, Buck GM, Courey NG, et al. Risk factors for uterine fibroids among women undergoing tubal sterilization. Am J Epidemiol 2001;153(1):20-6.
30. Kjerulff KH, Guzinski GM, Langenberg PW, et al. Hysterectomy and race. Obstet Gynecol 1993;82(5):757-64.
31. Marshall LM, Spiegelman D, Barbieri RL, et al. Variation in the incidence of uterine leiomyoma among premenopausal women by age and race. Obstet Gynecol 1997;90(6):967-73.
32. Kjerulff KH, Langenberg P, Seidman JD, et al. Uterine leiomyomas: Racial differences in severity, symptoms and age at diagnosis. J Reprod Med 1996;41(7):483-90.
33. Hillis SD, Marchbanks PA, Peterson HB. Uterine size and risk of complications among women undergoing abdominal hysterectomy for leiomyomas. Obstet Gynecol 1996;87(4):539-43.
34. Roth TJ, Gustilo-Ashby T, Barber MD, et al. Effects of race and clinical factors on short-term outcomes of myomectomy. Obstet Gynecol 2003;101:881-4.
35. Ravina JH, Herbreteau D, Ciraru-Vigneron N, et al. Arterial embolisation to treat uterine myomata. Lancet 1995;346(8976):671-2.
36. Goodwin SC, Vedantham S, McLucas B, et al. Preliminary experience with uterine artery embolization for uterine fibroids. J Vasc Interv Radiol 1997;8(4):517-26.
37. Villarosa L. Women seek choices when fibroid tumors strike. New York Times 2002 Aug 27.
38. Brunereau L, Herbreteau D, Gallas S, et al. Uterine artery embolization in the primary treatment of uterine leiomyomas: technical features and prospective followup with clinical and sonographic examinations in 58 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2000;175(5):1267-72.
39. Siskin GP, Stainken BF, Dowling K, et al. Outpatient uterine artery embolization for symptomatic uterine fibroids: experience in 49 patients. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2000;11(3):305-11.
40. Watson GM, Walker WJ. Uterine artery embolisation for the treatment of symptomatic fibroids in 114 women: reduction in size of the fibroids and women's views of the success of the treatment. BJOG 2002;109(2):129-35.
41. Pron G, Mocarski E, Cohen M, et al. Hysterectomy for complications after uterine artery embolization for leiomyoma: results of a Canadian multicenter clinical trial. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2003;10(1):99-106.
42. Chrisman HB, Saker MB, Ryu RK, et al. The impact of uterine fibroid embolization on resumption of menses and ovarian function. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2000;11(6):699-703.
43. Tulandi T, Sammour A, Valenti D, et al. Ovarian reserve after uterine artery embolization for leiomyomata. Fertil Steril 2002;78(1):197-8.
44. Ahmad A, Qadan L, Hassan N, Najarian K. Uterine artery embolization treatment of uterine fibroids: Effect on ovarian function in younger women. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2002;13:1017-20.
45. Tropeano G, Di Stasi C, Litwicka K, et al. Uterine artery embolization for fibroids does not have adverse effects on ovarian reserve in regularly cycling women younger than 40 years. Fertil Steril 2004;8:1055-61.
46. Broder MS, Goodwin S, Chen C, et al. Comparison of long-term outcomes of myomectomy and uterine artery embolization. Obstet Gynecol 2002;100:864-8.
47. Ravina JH, Bouret JM, Ciraru-Vigneron N, et al. Recourse to particular arterial embolization in the treatment for some uterine leiomyoma. Bull Acad Natl Med 1997;181:233-6.
48. Spies JB, Scalli AR, Jha RC, et al. Initial results from uterine fibroid embolization for symptomatic leiomomata. JVIR 1999;10:1149-57.
49. Bernstein SJ, Fiske ME, McGlynn EA, et al. Hysterectomy, a review of the literature on indications, effectiveness, and risks. Rand Report 1997:ix-xi,47-55.
50. Chang SW, Luft HS. Reimbursement and the dynamics of surgical procedure innovation. In: Gelijns AC, Halm EA, editors. The changing economics of medical technology. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1991.
51. Deveney K. Reporting results of laparoscopic procedures. The state-wide registry approach. Surg Clin North Am 1996;76(3):623-30.
52. Gelijns AC, Fendrick AM. The dynamics of innovation in minimally invasive therapy. Health Policy 1993;23(1-2):153-66.
53. Mowatt G, Bower DJ, Brebner JA, et al. When and how to assess fast-changing technologies: a comparative study of medical applications of four generic technologies. Health Technol Assess 1997;1(14):i-vi,1-149.
54. Young W, Cohen MM. Laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy. A review of current issues. Int J Technol Assess Health Care 1997;13(2):368-79.
55. Carlson KJ, Miller BA, Fowler FJ Jr. The Maine Women's Health Study: II. Outcomes of nonsurgical management of leiomyomas, abnormal bleeding, and chronic pelvic pain. Obstet Gynecol 1994;83(4):566-72.
56. Dwyer N, Hutton J, Stirrat GM. Randomised controlled trial comparing endometrial resection with abdominal hysterectomy for the surgical treatment of menorrhagia. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1993;100(3):237-43.
57. Lamping DL, Rowe P, Clarke A, et al. Development and validation of the Menorrhagia Outcomes Questionnaire. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1998;105(7):766-79.
58. Ruta DA, Garratt AM, Chadha YC, et al. Assessment of patients with menorrhagia: how valid is a structured clinical history as a measure of health status? Qual Life Res 1995;4(1):33-40.
59. Mollica G, Pittini L, Minganti E, et al. Elective uterine myomectomy in pregnant women. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 1996;23(3):168-72.
60. Maxwell GL, Myers ER, Clarke-Pearson DL. Cost-effectiveness of deep venous thrombosis prophylaxis in gynecologic oncology surgery. Obstet Gynecol 2000;95(2):206-14.
61. Borgfeldt C, Andolf E. Transvaginal ultrasonographic findings in the uterus and the endometrium: low prevalence of leiomyoma in a random sample of women age 25-40 years. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2000;79(3):202-7.
62. Ferreira EL, Alexsandro da Silva E, Pereiro B, et al. Acute urologic symptoms associated with uterine myoma. Actas Urol Esp 1999;23(10):895-7.
63. Weber AM, Walters MD, Schover LR, et al. Functional outcomes and satisfaction after abdominal hysterectomy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1999;181(3):530-5.
64. Orlando R 3rd, Russell JC, Lynch J, et al. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy. A statewide experience. The Connecticut Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Registry. Arch Surg 1993;128:494-8
65. Myers ER, Steege JF. Risk adjustment for complications of hysterectomy: limitations of routinely collected administrative data. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1999;181:567-75.
66. Jacobs JP, Mavroudis C, Jacobs ML, et al. Lessons learned from the second harvest (1998-2001) of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) Congenital Heart Surgery database. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2004;26:18-37.
67. Pron G, Cohen M, Soucie J, et al. The Ontario Uterine Fibroid Embolization Trial, Part 1: Baseline patient characteristics, fibroid burden, and impact on life. Fertil Steril 2003;79:112-9.
68. Pron G, Mocarski E, Bennett J, et al. Tolerance, hospital stay, and recovery after uterine artery embolization for fibroids: The Ontario Uterine Fibroid Embolization Trial. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2003;14:1243-50.
69. Unger J, Paul R, Caldito G. Hysterectomy for the massive leiomyomatous uterus. Obstet and Gynec 2002;100:1271-5.
70. Peipert J, Weitzen S, Cruickshank C, et al. Risk factors for febrile morbidity after hysterectomy. Obstet and Gynec 2004;103:86-91.
71. McPherson K, Metcalfe M, Herbert A, et al. Severe complications of hysterectomy: the VALUE study. BJOG 2004;111:688-694.
72. Pron G, Bennet J, Common A, et al. Ontario Uterine Fibroid Embolization Collaboration Group. Fertil Steril 2003 Jan;79(1):120-7.
73. Spies JB, Roth AR, Jha RC, et al. Leiomyomata treated with uterine artery embolization: factors associated with successful symptom and imaging outcome. Radiology 2002 Jan;222(1)45-52.
74. Pinto I, Chimeno P, Romo A, et al. Uterine fibroids: uterine artery embolization versus abdominal hysterectomy for treatment—a prospective, randomized, and controlled clinical trial. Radiology 2003;226(2):425-31.
Return to Contents
Proceed to Tables and Figures