Public Health Emergency Preparedness
This resource was part of AHRQ's Public Health Emergency Preparedness program, which was discontinued on June 30, 2011, in a realignment of Federal efforts.
This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Figure 3.1. National Response Plan (Text Description)
DHS = Department of Homeland Security
EOC = Emergency operations center
ERT = Emergency response team
ROC = Regional operations center
Graphic of National Response Plan flow chart, showing sequence of events and
- Disaster occurs.
- Local first responders, working with volunteer organizations, alert local authorities (Mayor/County executive).
- Mayor/County executive activates local EOC, requests aid from governor
- Activates State EOC.
- Notifies DHS Regional Director.
- Declares emergency/major disaster (if appropriate).
- DHS Regional Director reports DHS Director.
- DHS Director contacts President of the United States.
- President of the United States:
- Declares emergency/major disaster.
- Appoints Principal Federal Official (Coordinating Officer)
- Principal Federal Official:
- Sets up Disaster field office.
- Requests governor declare emergency/major disaster (if not already in place).
- Works with State Coordinating Officer to establish Interagency Incident Management Group.
- Works with State Coordinating Officer to set up Disaster Field Office.
- Disaster Field Office, through a Joint Field Office, supports Emergency Response Team, comprised of 26 Federal Agencies and the American Red Cross.
- Emergency Response Team provides Emergency Support Functions:
- Public Works & Engineering
- Information & Planning
- Mass Care
- Resource Support
- Health & Medical Services
- Urban Search & Rescue
- Hazardous Materials
- Emergency Response Team, utilizing local, State and Federal resources, provides disaster field operations.
Return to Document