This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Health and Human Services Secretary Donna E. Shalala has appointed eight new members to the National Advisory Council (NAC) for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The Council provides advice to the Secretary and to the Director of the Agency. The 21-member Council is composed of private-sector experts and includes top Federal health officials. The new members are:
- William Allen Schaffer, M.D., F.A.C.P, Chief Medical Officer, Senior Vice President, Medical Strategy & Health Policy, CIGNA HealthCare, Hartford, CT.
- William Allen Schaffer, M.D., F.A.C.P., Chief Medical Officer, Senior Vice President, Medical Strategy and Health Policy, CIGNA HealthCare, Hartford, CT.
- Robert F. Meenan, M.D., M.P.H., M.B.A., Dean and Professor of Health Services at Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA.
- William F. Jessee, M.D., President and Chief Executive Officer of the Medical Group Management Association, Englewood, CO.
- Janice H. Platner, J.D., M.P.A., Director of Programs, National Breast Cancer Coalition, Washington, DC.
- Arthur Garson, Jr., M.D., M.P.H., Senior Vice President and Dean for Academic Operations, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX.
- Marita G. Titler, Ph.D., RN, F.A.A.N., Director of Research, Quality and Outcomes Management, Department of Nursing Services and Patient Care, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IO.
- Mary Wakefield, Ph.D., R.N., F.A.A.N., Professor and Director of the Center for Health Policy at George Mason University, Fairfax, VA.
- Jo Ivey Boufford, M.D., Dean, Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, New York University, New York, NY.
The reappointed Council members are:
- Donald Berwick, M.D., M.P.P., President and CEO, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Boston, MA (Council Chair).
- Colleen Conway-Welch, Ph.D., Professor and Dean, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, Nashville, TN.
- Dennis G. Fryback, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.
- Vanessa N. Gamble, M.D., Ph.D., Vice President for Community and Minority Programs, Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC.
In addition to the private-sector members, representatives from seven Federal agencies serve as ex-officio members of the Council: the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Office of Personnel Management, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Health Care Financing Administration.
Return to Contents
Proceed to Next Article