This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Why BMV - Resident Safety
BMV decreases errors
- Opportunity for errors
- 588 Residents / 10 meds per day / 5880 med per day
- 2,146,200 Meds per year
- Average Medication Error Rate 6%
- What if we only have 1% = 21,462 errors per year
- 0.1% = 2146 Errors
- Noted through observation - Errors Prevented
- Wrong dose errors prevented
- Wrong medication errors prevented
- Wrong resident errors prevented
ICU- Wrong Medication nurse pulled ASA EC order was for plain.
Ltc- Wrong Med nurse pulled Ibu order was for ASA. Just grabbed the wrong med out of cart
Acute- Wrong med pulled from Pyxis caught with BMV
LTC- XR ordered but resident was getting plain medication.
Acute/LTC—Wrong patient eMAR open.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide