This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
Liability and responsibilities for disclosure now addressed
- Prior MN law placed all liability for inappropriate disclosure on disclosing provider
- Responsibilities are now defined for the patient, the requestor, and the discloser
- Each party warrants no information known to the person to be false
- Requestor accurately states the patient's desire to have health records disclosed or that there is specific authorization in law
- Requestor & discloser do not exceed any limits imposed by the patient in the consent
- Discloser has complied with the legal requirements regarding disclosure of health records
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide