Creating Health Information That Americans Can Understand (Text Version)
On September 14, 2009, Cindy Brach made this presentation at the 2009 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (720 KB).
Creating Health Information That Americans Can Understand
Center for Delivery, Organization, and Markets
September 14, 2009
Health Information Uses
Consumers use health information to:
- Choose health plans, hospitals, doctors
- Make treatment decisions
- Take medicine safely
- Reduce risk factors and manage health conditions
Health Literacy Challenge
- Only 12 percent of U.S. adults have proficient health literacy.
- Over a third-77 million people-have difficulty with common health tasks.
- The complexity of most health materials exceeds the capability of most consumers.
- Kristin Carman, PhD - Print Materials
- Maritza Matheus, MBA - Audience Input
- Sandy Hilfilker, MA - Web Materials