Leveraging Social Science and Technology to Harness the Power of Information Democratization (Text Version)
On September 14, 2009, Joshua Seidman made this presentation at the 2009 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (1.1 MB).
Leveraging Social Science and Technology to Harness the Power of Information Democratization
Joshua Seidman, Ph.D.
Why "Ix" and "Information Therapy"?
Corollaries between Ix & Rx
- Side effects
- Titrate the dosage
- Appropriate frequency & duration
Ecology of Medical Care & the Internet
Green et al. The Ecology of Medical Care Revisited. NEJM; 344:2021-2025
Use of Internet
Pew Internet Project Data
- "Dr. Google Phenomenon"
- More consumers go online for health info than see a doctor
- What do consumers do when their physicians tell them to stop going online?
- Switch doctors
- Go underground
IN THE MD's OFFICE:
Research: Patients recall only 20%-50% of what MDs tell them 5 minutes after the fact (Eiser, 1982)
- Tangled web of health info
- Info is hard to:
- Find (relative to need)
Ix: Bring Two Worlds Together
HOW DO WE HARNESS INFORMATION TO
Integrating Best of Science into Information Democratization
Information Triggers: Delivering the Information
- Claims data
- Patient portals
- Secure messaging
- Call center
- Automated lab results
- Automated pharmacy data
- Appointment Scheduling
- Automated referral system
- Online multimedia clinical content
Potential Information Triggers to Deliver SDM Decision Aids
- ICD-9 code for back pain & referral to orthopedist
- LOW BACK PAIN DECISION AID
- Scheduling of 50-year-old male well-care visit
- PSA TEST DECISION AID
- Lab data: LDL>130 mg/dL
- STATIN THERAPY DECISION AID
Institute of Medicine (IOM)
"Ten simple rules for the 21st-century health care system"
"Rule 1: Care based on continuous healing relationships"
Encourage "all types of health care interactions that improve information transfer... "
IOM Rule #1: Continuous Healing Relationships
For More Information
Web site: www.IxCenter.org