HCUP: Celebrating 20 Years of Powerful Data (Text Version)
On September 28, 2010, Herb Wong made this presentation at the 2010 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (3.3 MB).
HCUP: Celebrating 20 Years of Powerful Data
Herbert S. Wong, Ph.D.
AHRQ Annual Meeting
September 28, 2010
HCUP 20th Anniversary!
Image: The HCUP logo is shown.
What is HCUP?
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project
- Voluntary federal-state-industry partnership
- Largest set of publicly-available all-payer healthcare data in the U.S.
- Ambulatory surgery
- Emergency department
- More than data
- Software tools and products
- Designed to:
- Promote healthcare research
- Assist in policy analysis
- Inform health care reform
- Release of the 2007 Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS), 20 Years of Data.
- Grown from 8 State Partners to 43 State Partners.
- Expanded from data in inpatient setting to ambulatory surgery and emergency department.
- Tools and software.
- 16,000 databases distributed.
- 1,200 peer reviewed articles.
- Outstanding Healthcare Research Using HCUP Data Award
- Recognize researchers' contributions to the field of healthcare research and policy analysis using HCUP resources.
- Healthcare Research
- Healthcare Student Research
- Healthcare Policy Research
- Anne Elixhauser, Ph.D., AHRQ
- Michael Hagan, B.A., AHRQ
- Kendall Hall, M.D., AHRQ
- Ernie Moy, M.D., M.P.H., AHRQ
- Pam Owens, Ph.D., Washington University
- Lisa Simpson, M.B., B.Ch., M.P.H., FAAP Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- Herbert Wong, Ph.D., AHRQ
Outstanding Healthcare Research
Image: A photo of Jay G. Berry, M.D., M.P.H., is shown.
Jay G. Berry, M.D., M.P.H.,
Harvard Medical School, Children's Hospital Boston
Outstanding Healthcare Student Research
Image: A photo of Ya-Lin Aileen Huang, Ph.D., is shown.
Ya-Lin Aileen Huang, Ph.D.
Outstanding Healthcare Policy Research
Image: A photo of Carlos Grijalva, M.D., M.P.H., is shown.
Carlos Grijalva, M.D., M.P.H.