HHS Secretary Appoints Members to AHRQ National Advisory Council: Council Scheduled to Meet on November 13
Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius appointed seven new members to the National Advisory Council for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The council provides advice and recommendations to the Secretary and the director of the agency on priorities for a national health services research agenda. The council consists of 21 members from the private sector and seven ex-officio members from other federal health agencies. To learn more about the council, go to https://www.ahrq.gov/about/council.htm.
"These seven new members bring a wealth of experience, expertise and dedication to help AHRQ advance its mission to improve the quality, safety, efficiency and effectiveness of health care for all Americans," said AHRQ Director Carolyn M. Clancy, M.D. "Their vision will go a long way toward helping the Agency continue to achieve its goals."
The seven new council members are:
- Nancy E. Donaldson, D.N.Sc., R.N., director, Center for Research and Innovation in Patient Care, School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco
- Arthur Garson, Jr., M.D., M.P.H., executive vice president and provost and the Robert C. Taylor Professor of Science and Public Policy, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
- Junius J. Gonzales, M.D., M.B.A., dean and professor, College of Behavioral and Community Services, University of South Florida and executive director, Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute, Tampa
- Lisa M. Latts, M.D., M.B.A., M.S.P.H., vice president, Programs in Clinical Excellence, WellPoint Inc., Denver
- Keith J. Mueller, Ph.D., director, Center for Rural Health Policy Analysis and Nebraska Center for Rural Health Research, and associate dean, College of Public Health, Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha
- Xavier Sevilla, M.D., chief of Pediatrics, Manatee County Rural Health Services Inc., Whole Child Pediatrics, Bradenton, Fla.
- Bruce Siegel, M.D., M.P.H., director, Center for Health Care Quality, The George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services, Washington, D.C.
The council will meet on Friday, Nov. 13. The meeting, which is open to the public, will begin with an update on the agency's current research, programs and initiatives. The council will hear reports from the Subcommittee on Patient Safety and Medical Liability Reform and the Subcommittee on the Quality Measures for Children's Healthcare in Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program and will receive an update on the 2008 National Healthcare Quality Report and the 2008 National Healthcare Disparities Report.
Date: Friday, November 13, 2009
AHRQ's Eisenberg Conference Center
540 Gaither Road
Rockville, MD 20850
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Registration: No prior registration is required
Individuals with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodations may contact Kaye Nitta, Office of Equal Employment Opportunity, Program Support Center, by E-mail: Kaye.Nitta@psc.hhs.gov, voice/relay at (301) 443-1977, or TTY at (301) 443-1972.
For more information, please contact AHRQ Public Affairs: (301) 427-1855 or (301) 427-1866.
Use Twitter to get AHRQ news updates: http://www.twitter.com/ahrqnews/.