Appendix E-2. Sample Market Scan Questions
- Working with the Oregon Health Care Quality Corporation.
- Scanning the landscape of health care quality efforts in Oregon to identify opportunities where the Quality Corporation may provide unique value.
- Includes comparing Oregon to other State and national efforts.
- You were recommended as a key source of current knowledge.
- Information will be used in strategic planning by the Quality Corporation board.
Confirm areas to focus with this individual in priority order, from the following list:
- Health Information Technology/Health Information Exchange.
- Quality Improvement.
- Public Reporting.
- Consumer Engagement.
- State Health Reform.
Health Information Exchange
- In your opinion, who in the Oregon market is leading innovation in health information exchange? What are they doing?
- Who is convening stakeholders for a health information exchange?
- Who is funding these efforts?
- What barriers exist to health information exchange in the Oregon market?
- Please provide examples of successful state and/or national health information exchange efforts.
- What challenges does Oregon face in advancing health information exchange? (e.g., political, economic, and other concerns)
- What role do you see for the Oregon Health Care Quality Corporation in Health Information Exchange?
- In your opinion, who in the Oregon market is leading innovation in clinical quality and quality improvement efforts?
- Where is the drive for innovation or "energy" coming from concerning clinical quality improvement? Who is funding these efforts?
- What will it take to achieve momentum and scale in quality improvement efforts in Oregon? (Why isn't more happening?)
- Where are there gaps? What needs are not being addressed concerning Quality Improvement?
- What role do you see for the Oregon Health Care Quality Corporation in Quality Improvement?
- In your opinion, who is leading innovation in public reporting efforts?
- What role will public reporting play in Oregon Health Reform?
- Who is supporting performance measurement and public reporting efforts — both financially and politically?
- Who is tackling extensions in public reporting, such as:
- Gathering consumer experience data
- Measuring quality across settings of care (e.g. nursing homes, transitions between settings)
- Integrating cost and efficiency data
- Episode of care analysis
- Please provide examples of successful state and national public reporting efforts.
- What role do you see for the Oregon Health Care Quality Corporation in Public Reporting?
- In your opinion, where does Oregon stack up against leading states/markets, in terms of Consumer Engagement on health care issues?
- Who in the Oregon market is leading innovation in Consumer Engagement?
- Who is providing resources to help consumers/patients understand what quality means, why it matters, and what they can do to get high quality care?
- Is there a quality information trusted brand among a large number of consumers and patients and/or a gateway to related resources?
- Are there practical electronic and print tools for using practice-level quality information?
- Who provides self-management information and tools for patients related to ambulatory care?
- Who is gathering and/or reporting on disparities due to racial, ethnic, language, socioeconomic, and geographic factors?
- Who is driving and funding Consumer Engagement efforts?
- What role do you see for the Oregon Health Care Quality Corporation in Consumer Engagement?
Oregon Health Fund Board
- What is the status of the June 2008 workgroup recommendations?
- Specifically, how does quality fit into the reform agenda? Are there certain quality requirements or considerations that are expected to be included in the legislation that will be proposed to the governor in November 2008?
- How are stakeholders such as health plans, providers, and consumer advocacy groups shaping the process? Is there a stakeholder group that is more influential in the process?
- Are potential roles envisioned for private, nonprofit entities, like the Quality Corporation?
- What are the expectations for funding quality efforts? Does the State envision funding quality efforts? Or is there an expectation that the private sector will fund and/or match funds?
- How will the current economic climate impact the feasibility of health care reform and Oregon Health Fund Board efforts?
- What gaps do you see in quality efforts in Oregon?
- What are the top priorities for the group you represent?
- Are there any interesting for-profit endeavors targeting health care quality, information, and/or efficiency?
- Are there untapped resources (people, funding, partners, etc.) that could be beneficial on any of the topics or gaps discussed?
- Do you have any advice or recommendations for the Quality Corporation?
- Are there any other people, efforts, or sources you would recommend that we research to gain a better understanding of the Oregon health care quality landscape?