The Hospital Built Environment: What Role Might Funders of Health Services Research Play?
1. McGlynn EA, Asch SM, Adams J, et al. The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States. N Engl J Med 2003;348(26):2635-45.
2. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. National Healthcare Quality Report. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2004. Available at: https://www.ahrq.gov/qual/nhqr04/nhqr04.htm. Accessed May 10, 2005.
3. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. National Healthcare Disparities Report. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2004. Available at: https://www.ahrq.gov/qual/nhdr04/nhdr04.htm. Accessed May 10, 2005.
4. Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council. Hospital-acquired infections in Pennsylvania; 2005. Available at: http://www.phc4.org/reports/researchbriefs/032906/. Accessed August 12, 2005.
5. Snyder C, Anderson G. Do quality improvement organizations improve the quality of hospital care for Medicare beneficiaries? JAMA 2005;293(23):2900-7.
6. Institute of Medicine. Evidence-based hospital design improves healthcare outcomes for patients, families, and staff. Princeton, NJ: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: 2004.
7. Hamilton K. The four levels of evidence based practice. Healthcare Design 2003;3:18-26.
8. Zimring C, Ulrich R. The Role of the Physical Environment in the Hospital of the 21st Century: a Once-in-a-lifetime Opportunity. Concord, CA: The Center for Health Design; 2004.
9. Morrisey MA. Competition in hospital and health insurance markets: a review and research agenda. Health Serv Res 2001;36(1 Pt 2):191-221.
10. Salkever DS. Competition among hospitals. Hosp Health Serv Adm 1980;25(2):56-70.
11. Carpenter D. A good, old-fashioned building boom. Hospitals & Health Networks March 2004;34-42.
12. Shactman D, Altman SH, Eilat E, Thorpe KE, Doonan M. The outlook for hospital spending. Health Aff (Millwood) 2003;22(6):12-26.
13. Carr RF. Hospital. The Building Design Guide. Available at: http://www.wbdg.org/design/hospital.php. Accessed August 5, 2005.
14. Academy of Architecture (AIA). Guidelines for Design and Construction of Hospital and Health Care Facilities. Health Guidelines Revision Committee 2001.
15. Swan JE, Richardson LD, Hutton JD. Do appealing hospital rooms increase patient evaluations of physicians, nurses, and hospital services? Health Care Manage Rev 2003;28(3):254-64.
16. Schweitzer M, Gilpin L, Frampton S. Healing spaces: elements of environmental design that make an impact on health. J Altern Complement Med 2004;10 Suppl 1:S71-83.
17. Allaouchiche B, Duflo F, Debon R, Bergeret A, Chassard D. Noise in the postanaesthesia care unit. Br J Anaesth 2002;88(3):369-73.
18. Blomkvist V, Eriksen CA, Theorell T, Ulrich R, Rasmanis G. Acoustics and psychosocial environment in intensive coronary care. Occup Environ Med 2005;62(3):e1.
19. Hilton BA. Noise in acute patient care areas. Res Nurs Health 1985;8(3):283-91.
20. McLaughlin A, McLaughlin B, Elliott J, Campalani G. Noise levels in a cardiac surgical intensive care unit: a preliminary study conducted in secret. Intensive Crit Care Nurs 1996;12(4):226-30.
21. Robertson A, Cooper-Peel C, Vos P. Peak noise distribution in the neonatal intensive care nursery. J Perinatol 1998;18(5):361-4.
22. Corser NC. Sleep of 1- and 2-year-old children in intensive care. Issues Compr Pediatr Nurs 1996;19(1):17-31.
23. Cureton-Lane RA, Fontaine DK. Sleep in the pediatric ICU: an empirical investigation. Am J Crit Care 1997;6(1):56-63.
24. Slevin M, Farrington N, Duffy G, Daly L, Murphy JF. Altering the NICU and measuring infants' responses. Acta Paediatr 2000;89(5):577-81.
25. Couper RT, Hendy K, Lloyd N, Gray N, Williams S, Bates DJ. Traffic and noise in children's wards. Med J Aust 1994;160(6):338-41.
26. Johnson AN. Neonatal response to control of noise inside the incubator. Pediatr Nurs 2001;27(6):600-5.
27. Benedetti F, Colombo C, Barbini B, Campori E, Smeraldi E. Morning sunlight reduces length of hospitalization in bipolar depression. J Affect Disord 2001;62(3):221-3.
28. Keep PJ. Stimulus deprivation in windowless rooms. Anaesthesia 1977;32(7):598-602.
29. Lawson B, Phiri M. Hospital design. Room for improvement. Health Serv J 2000;110(5688):24-6.
30. Powers KS, Rubenstein JS. Family presence during invasive procedures in the pediatric intensive care unit: a prospective study. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 1999;153(9):955-8.
31. Benians RC. The influence of parental visiting on survival and recovery of extensively burned children. Burns Incl Therm Inj 1988;14(1):31-4.
32. Walker SB. Neonatal nurses' views on the barriers to parenting in the intensive care nursery?a national study. Aust Crit Care 1998;11(3):86-91.
33. Ulrich RS. Effects of interior design on wellness: theory and recent scientific research. J Health Care Inter Des 1991;3:97-109.
34. Beauchemin KM, Hays P. Sunny hospital rooms expedite recovery from severe and refractory depressions. J Affect Disord 1996;40(1-2):49-51.
35. Lewy AJ, Bauer VK, Cutler NL, et al. Morning vs evening light treatment of patients with winter depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1998;55(10):890-6.
36. Terman JS, Terman M, Lo ES, Cooper TB. Circadian time of morning light administration and therapeutic response in winter depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2001;58(1):69-75.
37. Wallace-Guy GM, Kripke DF, Jean-Louis G, Langer RD, Elliott JA, Tuunainen A. Evening light exposure: implications for sleep and depression. J Am Geriatr Soc 2002;50(4):738-9.
38. Terman M, Terman JS, Ross DC. A controlled trial of timed bright light and negative air ionization for treatment of winter depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1998;55(10):875-82.
39. Martin DP, Diehr P, Conrad DA, Davis JH, Leickly R, Perrin EB. Randomized trial of a patient-centered hospital unit. Patient Educ Couns 1998;34(2):125-33.
40. Dubois JM, Bartter T, Pratter MR. Music improves patient comfort level during outpatient bronchoscopy. Chest 1995;108(1):129-30.
41. Menegazzi JJ, Paris PM, Kersteen CH, Flynn B, Trautman DE. A randomized, controlled trial of the use of music during laceration repair. Ann Emerg Med 1991;20(4):348-50.
42. Yilmaz E, Ozcan S, Basar M, Basar H, Batislam E, Ferhat M. Music decreases anxiety and provides sedation in extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy. Urology 2003;61(2):282-6.
43. Ulrich R. Effects of exposure to nature and abstract pictures on patients recovering from open heart surgery. J Soc Psychophysiol Res 1993;30:204-21.
44. Janssen PA, Klein MC, Harris SJ, Soolsma J, Seymour LC. Single room maternity care and client satisfaction. Birth 2000;27(4):235-43.
45. Hahn JE, Jones MR, Waszkiewicz M. Renovation of a semiprivate patient room. Bowman Center Geriatric Rehabilitation Unit. Nurs Clin North Am 1995;30(1):97-115.
46. Krueckeberg HF, Hubbert A. Attribute correlates of hospital outpatient satisfaction. J Ambul Care Mark 1995;6(1):11-43.
47. Passini R, Rainville C, Marchand N, Joanette Y. Wayfinding in dementia of the Alzheimer type: planning abilities. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 1995;17(6):820-32.
48. Pattison HM, Robertson CE. The effect of ward design on the well-being of post-operative patients. J Adv Nurs 1996;23(4):820-6.
49. Jiang S, Huang L, Chen X, et al. Ventilation of wards and nosocomial outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome among healthcare workers. Chin Med J (Engl) 2003;116(9):1293-7.
50. Kromhout H, Hoek F, Uitterhoeve R, et al. Postulating a dermal pathway for exposure to anti-neoplastic drugs among hospital workers. Applying a conceptual model to the results of three workplace surveys. Ann Occup Hyg 2000;44(7):551-60.
51. Smedbold HT, Ahlen C, Unimed S, Nilsen AM, Norback D, Hilt B. Relationships between indoor environments and nasal inflammation in nursing personnel. Arch Environ Health 2002;57(2):155-61.
52. Menzies D, Fanning A, Yuan L, FitzGerald JM. Hospital ventilation and risk for tuberculous infection in Canadian health care workers. Canadian Collaborative Group in Nosocomial Transmission of TB. Ann Intern Med 2000;133(10):779-89.
53. Bayo MV, Garcia AM, Garcia A. Noise levels in an urban hospital and workers' subjective responses. Arch Environ Health 1995;50(3):247-51.
54. Archibald LK, Manning ML, Bell LM, Banerjee S, Jarvis WR. Patient density, nurse-to-patient ratio and nosocomial infection risk in a pediatric cardiac intensive care unit. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1997;16(11):1045-8.
55. Bittner MJ, Rich EC. Surveillance of handwashing episodes in adult intensive-care units by measuring an index of soap and paper towel consumption. Clin Perform Qual Health Care 1998;6(4):179-82.
56. Cohen B, Saiman L, Cimiotti J, Larson E. Factors associated with hand hygiene practices in two neonatal intensive care units. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2003;22(6):494-9.
57. Kaplan LM, McGuckin M. Increasing handwashing compliance with more accessible sinks. Infect Control 1986;7(8):408-10.
58. Vernon MO, Trick WE, Welbel SF, Peterson BJ, Weinstein RA. Adherence with hand hygiene: does number of sinks matter? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2003;24(3):224-5.
59. Conly JM, Hill S, Ross J, Lertzman J, Louie TJ. Handwashing practices in an intensive care unit: the effects of an educational program and its relationship to infection rates. Am J Infect Control 1989;17(6):330-9.
60. Goldmann DA, Durbin WA, Jr., Freeman J. Nosocomial infections in a neonatal intensive care unit. J Infect Dis 1981;144(5):449-59.
61. McManus AT, Mason AD, Jr., McManus WF, Pruitt BA, Jr. A decade of reduced gram-negative infections and mortality associated with improved isolation of burned patients. Arch Surg 1994;129(12):1306-9.
62. McManus AT, McManus WF, Mason AD, Jr., Aitcheson AR, Pruitt BA, Jr. Microbial colonization in a new intensive care burn unit. A prospective cohort study. Arch Surg 1985;120(2):217-23.
63. McKendrick GD, Emond RT. Investigation of cross-infection in isolation wards of different design. J Hyg (Lond) 1976;76(1):23-31.
64. Ben-Abraham R, Keller N, Szold O, et al. Do isolation rooms reduce the rate of nosocomial infections in the pediatric intensive care unit? J Crit Care 2002;17(3):176-80.
65. Babb JR, Lynam P, Ayliffe GA. Risk of airborne transmission in an operating theatre containing four ultraclean air units. J Hosp Infect 1995;31(3):159-68.
66. Friberg S, Ardnor B, Lundholm R, Friberg B. The addition of a mobile ultra-clean exponential laminar airflow screen to conventional operating room ventilation reduces bacterial contamination to operating box levels. J Hosp Infect 2003;55(2):92-7.
67. Noskin GA, Peterson LR. Engineering infection control through facility design. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7(2):354-7.
68. Oren I, Haddad N, Finkelstein R, Rowe JM. Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in neutropenic patients during hospital construction: before and after chemoprophylaxis and institution of HEPA filters. Am J Hematol 2001;66(4):257-62.
69. Booker JM, Roseman C. A seasonal pattern of hospital medication errors in Alaska. Psychiatry Res 1995;57(3):251-7.
70. Buchanan TL, Barker KN, Gibson JT, Jiang BC, Pearson RE. Illumination and errors in dispensing. Am J Hosp Pharm 1991;48(10):2137-45.
71. Keeping patients safe: Institute of Medicine looks at transforming nurses' work environment. Qual Lett Healthc Lead 2004;16(1):9-11, 1.
72. Chang JT, Morton SC, Rubenstein LZ, et al. Interventions for the prevention of falls in older adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. BMJ 2004;328(7441):680.
73. Brandis S. A collaborative occupational therapy and nursing approach to falls prevention in hospital inpatients. J Qual Clin Pract 1999;19(4):215-20.
74. Trites DK, Galbraith FD, Jr., Leckwart JF, Sturdavant M. Radial nursing units prove best in controlled study. Mod Hosp 1969;112(4):94-9.
75. Pierce RA, 2nd, Rogers EM, Sharp MH, Musulin M. Outpatient pharmacy redesign to improve work flow, waiting time, and patient satisfaction. Am J Hosp Pharm 1990;47(2):351-6.
76. Joint Commission of Accreditation of Health care Organizations. Health care at the crossroad: strategies for addressing the evolving nursing crisis. JCAHO 2002.
77. Berry LL, Parker D, Coile R, Hamilton K, O'Neill D, Sadler B. The Business Case for Better Buildings. Frontiers of Health Services Management 2004;21(1):3-24.
78. Ubel PA, Zell MM, Miller DJ, Fischer GS, Peters-Stefani D, Arnold RM. Elevator talk: observational study of inappropriate comments in a public space. Am J Med 1995;99(2):190-4.
79. Mlinek EJ, Pierce J. Confidentiality and privacy breaches in a university hospital emergency department. Acad Emerg Med 1997;4(12):1142-6.