Project RED: Module 1: Preparing to Redesign Your Discharge Program
Let Us Pause A Moment
- Discuss high-level process map comparison.
- Determine when you will draw/redraw your high-level map.
- What failures are you predicting?
- What measurements do you have in place?
Please take a moment to consider the following questions.
- If you already have a current state map that has been created, did all members of the existing team participate in the process?
- What data do you have available as you move into the Measure phase of the project?
- Is your data historical?
Your team will want to collect data that is current state, that is available to you now, and that can estimate the process averages for your project. You may plan on collecting data on 10 to 20 patients at the most to get an idea of how your current state process is working. When you are identifying failures, do not personalize the failure list. For instance, "omission of medication reconciliation" is a failure mode, but "the charge nurses always forget to complete the medication reconciliation form" is not. Schedule time after Module 1 to create your high-level process map and analyze it. Place any outstanding thoughts or next steps on your "Parking Lot."