Project RED: Module 1: Preparing to Redesign Your Discharge Program
Discharge Planning Rounds
Image: Physicians and administrators making rounds, taking notes, and collecting data.
Let's talk briefly about discharge planning rounds, daily huddles, and morning rounds with the physicians. You may already be discussing discharge planning in your daily huddles. If you choose to combine your discharge planning rounds with other forms of daily rounds that you currently use, that is your choice. Questions you may ask include:
- Do discharge planning rounds exist on your unit or for your designated patient population?
- Who attends discharge planning rounds?
- How often do they occur?
- Do your physicians participate in rounds?
- How accurate is the information that is discussed in rounds?
- How is the knowledge that is obtained during discharge rounds shared with the rest of the team?
Discharge planning rounds are a key component and methodology used in Project RED. Daily, the DA may use the Patient Care Plan to direct the content specific to the patient's discharge needs and use the rounding process to create daily updates.