Project RED: Module 3: The Re-Designed Discharge Process: Patient Admission and Care and Treatment Education: Slide 15
Information About Condition
- Get pre-printed information about patient's condition to add to Patient Care Plan
- Add to Patient Care Plan:
- Signs and symptoms that warrant followup with clinician
- When to seek emergency care
- How to contact the DA and PCP (phone numbers and paging instructions)
Confirm that the informational material your hospital currently uses to help patients understand their condition is current and written in terms that patients can understand. These materials should use pictures and short sentences and should not have overly detailed information.
Be sure that the patient is aware of signs and symptoms that warrant followup, differentiating between those that should prompt a phone call to the physician and those that require an emergency department visit.