26. Overview of Project (RED): Reengineering Hospital Discharge
Reducing Avoidable Hospital Readmissions
Overview of Project RED: Reengineering Hospital Discharge
- RED is a National Quality Forum (NQF) Safe Practice
- RED can be delivered following 11 key components and using the After Hospital Care Plan (ACHP) tool
- RED can decrease hospital use:
- 30% overall reduction.
- Savings of $412 per patient.
- Success through elimination of barriers:
- Coordination and change are challenging.
- Providers must collaborate and work together.
- Using health information technology (IT) to implement RED could help—
- Improve delivery of care.
- Further improve cost savings and build the business case.