Public Health Emergency Preparedness
This resource was part of AHRQ's Public Health Emergency Preparedness program, which was discontinued on June 30, 2011, in a realignment of Federal efforts.
This information is for reference purposes only. It was current when produced and may now be outdated. Archive material is no longer maintained, and some links may not work. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us at: https://info.ahrq.gov. Let us know the nature of the problem, the Web address of what you want, and your contact information.
Please go to www.ahrq.gov for current information.
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Comprehensive Accreditation Manual for Hospitals: The Official Handbook. Oakbrook Terrace, IL: Joint Commission Resources; 2003. p. EC-21.
- Levi L, Bregman D, Geva H, et al. Hospital disaster management simulation system. Prehospital Disaster Med 1998; 13(1):29-34.
- Gretenkort P, Harke H, Blazejak J, et al. Interface between hospital and fire authorities—a concept for management of incidents in hospitals. Prehospital Disaster Med 2002; 17(1):42-7.
- Burns KA. Experience in the use of gaming and simulation as an evaluation
tool for nurses. J Contin Educ Nurs 1984; 15(6):213-7.
- Tur-Kaspa I, Lev EI, Hendler I, et al. Preparing hospitals for toxicological
mass casualties events. Crit Care Med 1999; 27(5):1004-8.
- Gofrit ON, Leibovici D, Shemer J, et al. The efficacy of integrating "smart
simulated casualties" in hospital disaster drills. Prehospital Disaster
Med 1997; 12(2):97-101.
- Lau PF, Lau CC. A disaster drill in Hong Kong. Accid Emerg Nurs 1997; 5(1):34-8.
- Gray D. Disaster plan education: how we made and tested a video. J Accid
Emerg Med 1996; 13(1):21-2.
- Cook L. Hospital disaster drill game: a strategy for teaching disaster protocols
to hospital staff. J Emerg Nurs 1990; 16(4):269-73.
- Baughman KS, Calvert DR. Internal disaster drill critique. J Emerg Nurs
- Chobin N, Engle L. Are you ready for an ethylene oxide spill? J Healthc
Mater Manage 1989; 7(3):56-7, 60.
- Weston CJ. The operating theatre's on fire. Health Serv Manage 1988; 84(3):20-3.
- Eisner ME, Waxman K, Mason GR. Evaluation of possible patient survival in
a mock airplane disaster. Am J Surg 1985; 150(3):321-3.
- Paris PM, Stewart RD, Pelton GH, et al. Triage success in disasters: dynamic
victim-tracking cards. Am J Emerg Med 1985; 3(4):323-6.
- Inglesby TV, Grossman R, O'Toole T. A plague on your city: observations
from TOPOFF. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 32(3):436-45.
- Halstead MA. Fire drill in the operating room. Role playing as a learning
tool. AORN J 1993; 58(4):697-706.
- Levy K, Aghababian RV, Hirsch EF, et al. An Internet-based exercise as a
component of an overall training program addressing medical aspects of radiation
emergency management. Prehospital Disaster Med 2000; 15(2):18-25.
- Classic KL, Knutson AH, Smith GD. Radiation safety role in institutional
disaster planning. Health Phys 2000; 78(5 Suppl):S35-9.
- Maxwell C, Cherneski M. Post-disaster drill analysis. Using victim-tracking
cards. J Emerg Med Serv 1987; 12(2):43-6.
- Saxena K, Cicero JJ, Hass WF. Chemical disaster drill in the State of Minnesota.
Minn Med 1986; 69(3):137-9.
- Menczer LF. The Hartford disaster exercise. N Engl J Med 1968; 278(15):822-4.
- Fishel ER. Exercise "Med-Ex" 73. Md State Med J 1974; 23(9):46-8.
- Hsu E, Jenckes MW, Catlett CL, Robinson KA, Feuerstein CJ, Cosgrove SE,
Green G, Guedelhoefer OC, Bass EB. Training of Hospital Staff to Respond to
a Mass Casualty Incident. Available at: www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcix.htm.
- The HEICS plan. Available at: www.emsa.cahwnet.gov/dms2/download.htm.
Accessed 2003 Feb 28.
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Comprehensive
Accreditation Manual for Hospitals: The Official Handbook. Oakbrook Terrace,
IL: Joint Commission Resources; 2003. p. EC-9.
- Catlett C, Perl T, Jenckes MW, et al. Training of Clinicians for Public
Health Events Relevant to Bioterrorism Preparedness. Evidence Report/Technology
Assessment No. 51. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
2002 Jan. AHRQ Publication No. 02-E011. Available at: www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcix.htm.
Return to Contents
Proceed to Next Section